Thursday 26 April 2012

I don't hate modern gaming, just isn't that unique any more.

Hi gamers!

Many discussions this week about modern gaming, I've had a few comments on YouTube, forums, Facebook, Twitter and Steam about modern gaming and what I think about them.
As much as I love gaming inside and out, there are many aspects I look into when I see or play them. I used to do this when I was kid with the Nintendo 64 and Playstation, and I do this now with the Wii, XBOX 360 and Playstation 3.
With those consoles in mind, think about how the Nintendo 64's and Playstation games looked, and now how the XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 games look. There isn't any uniqueness any more, you really have to look hard to find the differences now, not that this effects the average gamer, but it effects me, and a few others have notice this small difference problem too. It was good to have different graphics styles, every game gets a cross platform release, same price, same game, just different button mapping.

"Nintendo 64 Smooth graphics, bright colours Playstation - Choppy graphics, awesome sound"

Although to you this may not seem like a bad thing (which it's not), it just makes gaming today a lot less interesting. I haven't been that impressed with games in this generation as much as I was impressed with games even in the previous generation, let alone the generation beforehand. I used to look at a Playstation 2 game and think "wow, look at the lighting here!" then look at an XBOX game and be even more amazed. Now you can barely tell the difference what the game is running on...

Notice where I'm coming from?

I love Fighters, and Arcades racers the most, and a handful of RPGs. Arcade racers today just don't really work and the only one I've enjoyed is Blur (if you haven't noticed), of course I've liked Ridge Racer 7 and 3D blah blah, but I don't feel excited about playing them as I do say Destruction Derby 64, SF Rush, Super Mario Kart and so on, those are way more memorable than today's library.

I'd never quit modern gaming, although next generation doesn't look so bright (early to say?) but that's all matter of personal opinion. Though many gamers I've spoken to have thought about quitting modern gaming altogether as they were failed to be impressed by the favourite companies, which is quite sad.

With having said that, I am looking forward to a few sequels that may impress me or may disappoint me. I've mentioned some where the games I'm looking forward to, and I don't see the need to repeat that.
No need to get choppy about this, this my opinion on the matter, and just play what you enjoy! As a retro gamer maybe I just find it hard to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment