Sunday 20 January 2013

[XBOX] Repair Time! 2 Defective Systems Have Arrived!!

Hi gamers and collectors!

Welcome back to yet another addition or I should say additions to my XBOX collection. Here I have two XBOX systems, these were listed as defective or blatant not working. So I started having conversation with the seller talking about which version systems they are. So without opening the systems I asked the seller to tell me what colour the screws were. I got a reply a day later telling me "One black, one silver", this was perfect! The systems descriptions had "powers up" that's all I needed. The Power Girl XBOX I was working on, the power supply's transformer stopped working, so without spending $40 more for a new power supply, I thought it was just better to wait and find another 1.6 to replace it.

v1.6 - v1.?

I started to take apart each system while at the seller's house and he was awesome, I wasn't rushed or anything and started to have good conversations while I was inspecting the systems. Anyway, back to the systems, I opened up the silver screw one first (straight away it's a 1.6... Well USUALLY) and yep I was right a 1.6. I removed the HDD, then the DVD-ROM drive, which happened to be a Samsung (I hate Samsung drives). Oh, what's inside here? A Duo X3!! Well I just wanted the power supply but shit, wasn't expecting a chip, that's a bonus! Sadly it's not a Xecuter 3, I want an Xecuter 3 so badly. Anyhow when I got home I powered up the 1.6 and there was the Duo X3 logo but the system frags at error 16. This is just a clock error and the system couldn't find the MSDash to set the time. No biggie, since the Duo X3 allows to boot from DVD first I could by pass this and install UnleashX to fix the problem.

Now to take a look at this other system. This one is in extremely rough shape, which looks like something heavy and rough has landed on it and dragged along. The jewel has cracks in it too. When I opened the system there was a lot of dust, and twigs, yeah twigs. So as usual, removed the HDD and DVD-ROM... Yet ANOTHER Samsung Drive. I  couldn't get the drive out while I was there because it has shielding around the bezel, never had experience with this so I just left it as is and used my phone's flash light to look under it for a modchip, but nothing there. When I got home I powered her up and she spins up 3 times and frags. Usually this has got to do with bad traces or bad modchip install, but I need to inspect the board more closely for any bad traces.

I'll have updates for the Power Girl XBOX tomorrow, but all day I've been working on these two systems to get working again. With only the 1.6 being repaired I'm left with two dead systems still, my other 1.6 board and my v1.something system. The 1.6 needs a new power supply which I might just buy one day to sell it again. I'm so so tired from all this today, but I had a lot of fun doing it. Back at the DVD-ROM drives tomorrow though :)

All-in-all I paid $20 for both of them, which is pretty good considering a replacement DVD-ROM drive are $20-$30, and replacement lasers are $10-$15. The cases are bad which I might consider chucking out apart from the 1.6 as I could paint that one up. I now have a spare 1.0-1.1 power supply, controller ports, heat sinks you name it. Apart from the board, really not sure why it doesn't start up.

That's all for me, more games and systems to come during the week. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment