Saturday 15 September 2012

[PS3] Afterglow AP.3 Bluetooth Communicator Review

Hi gamers and collectors!


Welcome back to yet another accessory review, as these don't happen very often I'll try to be as in depth as I can.

So the story goes, I went to the EB Games website to see how much they have this very same device as Ozgameshop (which we'll get to later) for $22, it happened to be $4 more than ozgame. The next day I took a trip down to a EB Games store and asked if they had it as I couldn't find it. The staff said "We have a few in stock, and it's $59" I thought, WOW $59!? so I said "It was on the website for $22", staff replied "Yeah, it's part of the 2 for 40 deal at the moment, so by it's self it's $59." So I just said "forget it" and walked out. As soon as I got back home I ordered the set from Ozgameshop, I saved around $41 =^^=

In terms of build quality it's surely not worth $59 as EB have advertised at all let me tell you that right now. Although the set looks very flashy, I'm wondering how much abuse it can actually take. This is my first device set I've ever owned, so I was trying to figure exactly how to wear this thing, I thought it wouldn't very different to those clip on earphones. In fact it wasn't so different cause those things never worked anyway. The clip alone can easily break, it's incredibly flimsy so don't go around bending it too much to get it on your ear. On the topic of the human ear this barely fits in my ear, after a few hours it will just pop out :/ not very good if you're in the middle of combat or a race. Another flaw I have to mention is the buttons, they need so much pressure you end up knocking the unit out of your ear or stabbing the device further into the canal just to mute it, that just ruins the use of the buttons for me.

Although it's the best looking device set for the Playstation 3 at the moment, it's a little misleading - That light you see... NEVER stays on. It will flash every 5 seconds if out of reach (10 metres) of the device it's connected to. While it's being used it's barely on at all. I found that rather annoying as I wanted the light to always be on while in use, exactly how much battery is it saving?

The unit is rather useful though, you can still use it for your iPhone or other mobile that has Bluetooth. Although I haven't tested microphone quality of it in a phone conversation, it's rather good for the Playstation 3 in terms of mic quality.

Last point I have to mention is the speaker. Yep, it will buzz here and there. It's not the best earpiece out there, and if I did happen to spend $59 on this, I would of taken it back for a refund however it's a great set for $18. If you're in need of a Bluetooth headset for the Playstation 3 that looks cool and does the job, then this is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment