Wednesday 19 December 2012

[XBOX] Rollercoaster Tycoon has Arrived!!

Hi gamers and collectors!

Welcome back to yet another addition to my XBOX collection, and here I have Rollercoaster Tycoon.
This is one of the gems of the XBOX titles, there are not many around and better yet not many in PAL format. With that being said there are a few NTSC copies floating around eBay, but they are not cheap. So when the XBOX was in the limelight I remember seeing this game on the shelf - "hang on!" I said (I was 11 years old at the time) "wasn't this on PC originally?" I thought. Yes of course it was, I got it inside Monopoly Tycoon in 2001 as a bonus from Infogrames. So this interested me exactly how this game would work with the XBOX controller...


Rollercoaster Tycoon was released for Windows in 1999, and ported to the XBOX in 2003. So it's now the end of 2012 and 8 years later, I finally got to try the game out. I have mixed feelings about it, for one it was weird playing this on a 42" TV in 480i, and I found most buttons on the controller did nothing, yes that's right they do nothing. I found that annoying since only X and B are used to bring up menus and you use LS to move the cursor around to pick your option, OH! did I mention you have to time the buttons correctly too? Otherwise the menu goes away, oh lord. The triggers only snap to buttons like they would in lets say Sim City 2000 on the Playstation or even better yet Gran Turismo 2 with the L2 and R2 buttons in the menu.

The awesome thing about the XBOX port is that it includes what it says on the cover, but there's problems. The two expansions that released during the Windows version's life time. Loopy Landscapes expansion is weird, firstly the land is spiked in many locations which would make it so hard to build, let alone on the XBOX anyway, and secondly the other expansion requires you to buy land to even start! Well fuck me. Isn't that a great move.

I couldn't help but notice there's a magnifying glass cursor on all the time, and all this does is make a fisheyed lens and zooms with no extra detail. I'm not too sure of the reason for this as, no matter how much you can zoom out the glass just makes what you're seeing larger in a circle, with no extra detail... Pointless.


So let's talk about the condition: The case isn't perfect has a few marks and dents in it, but nothing major. Contents is great, and all pages to the manual are there.

Well I think I've touched on all the points here, and if you're wanted to get back into Rollercoaster Tycoon, grab it on the PC. Works fine with current generation hardware, so give it another shot and kick it back old school!

That's about it for me, more games coming during the week. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment